If you’re between 18 and 30 and hold a passport from one of these countries, this is the working holiday visa for you (subclass 462).
- United States of America
If your country is not on this list, then have a look at Australia working holiday visa (subclass 417) as different arrangements exist with different countries.
And if you have a European passport and would prefer a straight holiday with no work, you can apply online for free. See eVisitor Australian visa
Main Purpose Test
Your main purpose in coming to Australia must be holiday and travel.
Once you meet that test then you can do any kind of temporary or casual work while you’re here.
But you cannot work for any one employer for more than six months.
Some volunteering is ok.
You can also study, or undertake training, for up to four months.
Working Holiday Visa Australia Requirements
To be eligible for this holiday and work visa for Australia you must
- hold a passport from a country listed above
- be aged 18-30 (inclusive) on the date you apply
- be outside Australia both when you apply and when the visa is granted
- meet educational requirements
- have tertiary qualifications, or
- have completed or been approved for 3rd year undergraduate studies
- USA only
- have graduated from high school or completed an equivalent qualification
- have functional English (not required for USA) defined as:
- IELTS 4.5 average
- TOEFL 133 (computer-based), 450 (paper based), 45-46 (internet based)
- Occupational English Test, or have a
- similar level under various other tests
- have a letter of support from your government, home ministry or ministry of foreign affairs (not required for USA applicants)
- not be accompanied by dependent children
- not have previously entered Sydney, or anywhere else in Australia, on a 417 or 462 visa
- meet character, health and evidence of funds requirements.
Support for Your Australia Visa Application
You will need a letter of support from your government to apply for this working holiday visa Australia (except for applicants from the USA who do not require this). Here is each relevant body that issues such letters.
- Bangladesh: Ministry of Home Affairs
- Chile: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Indonesia: Directorate General of Immigration
- Malaysia: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Thailand: Office of Welfare Promotion, Protection and Empowerment of Vulnerable Groups in Bangkok
- Turkey: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Note: The Turkish Government has extra educational requirements you need to satisfy to get the letter of government support.
More Australian Working Holiday Requirements
Health requirements for the holiday and work visa for Australia will vary with your country of origin. See health requirements, Australia visitors visa for details.
You might be asked for a Penal Clearance Certificate, or Police Clearance Certificate, to support your application.
Do not provide this unless you are requested to do so.
You will need a return or an onward ticket from Sydney or elsewhere, or enough money with you to buy one.
And you will need to have enough to pay for the first part of your holiday, until you find work.
You should be able to show that you have around AUD$5,000 available to you to use.
Work Travel Visa Australia Guidelines
You must arrive within 12 months of the date that the holiday and work visa for Australia is granted.
You can stay for 12 months from the date you arrive in Sydney, or elsewhere. You can leave and
re-enter as often as you like during that time, but you must leave Australia at the end of the 12 months.
When your year is over you cannot extend this visa, nor can you apply for a second 462 working holiday visa Australia.
It may be possible to extend your stay if your Work and Holiday visa does not have an 8503 ‘No Further Stay’ condition (advised in your visa grant letter). But you can apply for only a very limited number of other visas from within the country.
As a practical matter you should work on the basis that your stay will be for one year only. If you want a longer stay then you need to look at different visas.
You cannot include partners or family members on this holiday and work visa for Australia. It is strictly personal. Your partner will need to apply for his or her own visa if required.
You cannot use a holiday and work visa for Australia to travel here with children. If you want your children to come with you then you will need to apply for a different kind of visa.
Working Holiday Visa Annual Limits
Most countries have a limit on this working holiday visa Australia (subclass 462) of 100 per year. Exceptions are Thailand (500 per year), Chile (1500 per year) and the USA (unlimited).
The countdown starts on 1 July each year and ends on 30 June the following year.
To find out the current status of the visa ceiling at any time, contact the Australian Embassy or High Commission in your country.
Apply for Holiday and Work Visa Australia
There is a visa application charge which needs to accompany your application. It is not refunded if your application is unsuccessful. These fees are reviewed on 1 July each year, but may be changed at any time.
There is no online application for this holiday and work visa for Australia (except for USA passport holders). You can lodge your paper application by post, courier or in person at the places shown below. Click the links for more contact details.
Bangladesh: Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC) in Dhaka or Sylhet, Bangladesh, or the Australian High Commission in Dhaka, Bangladesh
Biometric data (fingerprint scan and facial photograph) will be required
- Chile: Australian Embassy in Santiago
- Indonesia: Australian Embassy in Jakarta
- Malaysia: Australian Visa Application Centre or the Australian High Commission, both in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Thailand: Australian Visa Applications Centre, or the Visa and Immigration Office in Bangkok
- Turkey: Australian Embassy in Ankara