Online Australian Visa For European Visitors
European passport holders can apply online for an eVisitor tourist visa Australia. It’s free and it’s instant. Here’s how you become an Australian eVisitor.
If you don’t have a European passport you need to apply for an ETA tourist visa.
Perfect if you find a cheap last minute air ticket, this eVisitor tourist visa Australia (subclass 651) can be applied for and granted in the same online session.
It remains valid for a year. During that time you can freely enter and leave the continent as and when you like. With the provision that no single stay can be longer than three months.
It’s not designed for a cheap extended stay, where you leave the country for a day or two every three months and then come straight back. In that case you need long stay Australian holiday visas (subclass 600).
Eligibility for eVisitor
You are eligible for an eVisitor tourist visa Australia if you carry a passport issued by one of these
Republic of San Marino
United Kingdom – British Citizen
- Australians with two passports. They must use their Australian passport to come through
immigration, even if they use their other passport for all other sections of their travel; and
- holders of UK passports who are not British citizens. They need to check the visa requirements for Australia
eVisitor Tourist Visa Australia Requirements
You must apply for and receive your eVisitor outside Australia. You cannot apply for it if you are already here. If you came in under a different visa you can’t get an eVisitor to replace it when it runs out unless you first leave the country.
You can’t extend an eVisitor tourist visa Australia. If you are in Sydney and need to stay longer you have two choices:
- apply for a different type of visa while you are here. This will almost certainly involve application fees. You will also need a full health check (expensive and boring).
- leave the country and apply for another eVisitor. This won’t work if you have spent almost the full 12 months of your Australia travel visa here. It’s straightforward otherwise.
Other conditions are that
- you are free from tuberculosis when you come in to the country, and
- you have no criminal convictions that carry a sentence of 12 months or more (in total)
There may be further tourist visa Australia requirements, depending on the purpose of your stay.
A separate eVisitor is required for every person. Even if you have children under 18 on your passport each child will need his or her own eVisitor. You need to apply separately for each child.
It can be a bit scary the first time you apply for an Australia travel visa online.
The eVisitor is electronically stored and there are no stamps or labels in your passport (although you will be sent a confirmation email for your records).
“What if they lose my information?”
They won’t. (And you can keep your email confirmation with you for peace of mind).
For three years, until he got a permanent visa, my German partner used an eVisitor tourist visa Australia to come and go to and from Sydney. He never had any problems in either applying for or using it.
eVisitor is Not for Work
If you’re coming a short-term visit for tourism (perhaps for recreation, seeing friends or family reunions then you fall into the category of eVisitor (Tourist).
A specific visa requirement Australia imposes on the eVisitor is that you must not work for remuneration. Some unpaid volunteer work is okay.
The volunteer work must be genuinely voluntary and be
- incidental to the tourism purposes of your visit, not the main reason for it
- work that would not otherwise be done by an Australian resident for pay
You can receive meals, accommodation and out-of-pocket living expenses without breaching the terms
of the eVisitor tourist visa Australia.
If you want to combine paid work with your holiday, and you’re between 18 and 30, then look at this
- working holiday visa for UK and most European passport holders or this
- holiday and work visa for US and other passport holders.
You will need an eVisitor (Business) if you want to attend seminars, conventions or conferences in Sydney. It also covers business meetings, negotiations, education or an exploratory business visit.
Your negotiations, studies or training must not be longer than three months.
With this Australia travel visa you cannot
- work in Sydney or elsewhere, except in strictly limited circumstances such as short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work; and you cannot
- undertake any work which could be done by an Australian citizen or permanent resident. It is not a work visa for Australia.
If your business requires an extended stay you should consider a Temporary Business Long Stay Visa (subclass 457)
How to Apply for eVisitor Online
You must be outside Australia.
The eVisitor is usually issued immediately. Still, you should allow enough time before you leave in
case your application needs a manual assessment or is denied. If that happens you need to go through a longer offline process. The Immigration Department recommends allowing two weeks.
You start by creating an ImmiAccount.
You will need to provide these details:
- name, age, date of birth etc
- particulars of your valid eVisitor eligible passport
- a current email address
That’s about all.
When you;re done you will be given a transaction reference number which you can use to check the progress of your eVisitor tourist visa Australia application.
You will also have to quote this number if you need to contact the Immigration Department for any reason.
Your passport should be valid for at least six months at the time you make your application.
The eVisitor is electronically attached to your passport. If your passport is renewed during the term of your eVisitor you will need to ensure that the eVisitor tourist visa Australia is transferred to the new passport.
An eVisitor takes effect as soon as it is issued. It will override and cancel any other Australian visa that you hold. So be careful if you already have another visa. Contact your nearest Australian visa office for advice before you lodge your eVisitor application.