You want the best hotel deals Sydney offers. Whether you’re looking for backpacker, holiday apartment or five star hotel deals I’ll show you the best options, the deepest discounts, the best add-ons. I’ll also tell you why I rate them so you won’t be searching in the dark. Try me!
For more curated choices there are other pages. But if you want to see the lot – here you are! All price ranges, all areas, courtesy of my reservation partner.
Select the features most important to you and choose the best match for your needs, wants and purse. From budget accommodation to cheap luxury hotels.
What’s the Single Most Important Criterion?
It’s the real estate mantra – location, location, location. It’s just as true for hotel deals Sydney as for your everyday living. Why wouldn’t you choose to be in the best location for what you want to do? To be able to walk to your preferred activities, or at least to be on a direct, regular public transport line there.
So location is a touchstone for all my accommodation recommendations.
Tips on Where to Stay
- Stay within 5km of the city centre for easy access to the Opera House, theatres and city happenings (unless you’ve come to surf the northern beaches).
- The further out you go, the more important it is to be close to a rail connection. Trains run more frequently and more reliably than buses.
- There’s good eating in every inner city suburb. Each has its own ‘Eat Street’ with a different regional or ethnic emphasis, but all have great food, reasonably priced.
- There are no really unsafe areas in Sydney, provided you’re not trying to buy hard drugs or get involved in other illegal activity.
- If you want to avoid the seamier side of Sydney then stay away from ‘the Strip’ in Kings Cross. That’s the part of Darlinghurst Road between the El Alamein fountain in Macleay Street and the big Coca Cola sign on William Street. Especially on weekend nights (touts, girls, drugs and homelessness plus loud, inebriated young men).
- If you’re travelling as a family, Darling Harbour can be a top choice. It’s close to the city, offers family-oriented entertainment, has a good park and there are no busy streets.
What’s Next? Cost and Value for Money
Cost is different from value, we all know that. And for me value trumps cost, within reason. You’re on holiday, come on! Sometimes saving every last cent can be counter-productive.
If you really love a particular thing about a hotel or apartment, and it will make you significantly happier to have it as part of your holiday, then pay that little bit extra. It will be money well spent. On the other hand, if you really couldn’t care less about some added extra, save your money and go for the cheaper option. It’s all about what’s important to you.
If adding a bit of luxury is the thing that makes your hotel special, then don’t opt for the cheapest budget hotel. But do be meticulous in working out what value for money means for you.
For example, for me, true luxury is friendly and attentive room service and a helpful concierge. It’s not about having 15 pillows to choose from or chandeliers in the reception area. So if I look for hotel deals Sydney I look for words like ‘helpful’ and ‘friendly’ and discount words like ‘luxury surroundings’ and ‘designer touches’. You will almost certainly have your own idea of what puts a smile on your face when you’re away from home. In my eyes that’s value for money.
Hotel Deals Sydney: Reach for the Stars
The number of stars a hotel has reflects its level of amenities and can be a useful indication if something that matters to you, such as a pool, gym, 24-hour room service and so on, is part of the establishment.
I always look for free wi-fi. You may want access to a kitchen. Whatever your wants, you can find the very best offer that meets your requirements among all the possible contenders.
The number of stars also reflect a certain standard of fixtures and fittings. Be aware, though, that many hotels self-assess their ‘equivalent star level’ so that not all such rankings are necessarily equal. That said, it’s a widely used tool for ranking hotel deals Sydney and I’d take it into account.
Size Matters: Chain, Independent or Boutique?
The fourth general criterion. Different strokes for different folks and some people care more about this than others. But when you’re narrowing down a seemingly endless list of options, it’s another tool to use.
All Hotel Deals Sydney
We’re going to break hotel deals in Sydney down into usable short lists, based on the criteria above. But to start you off, here is the full monty – the full list of hotels in Sydney. You can search it in all sorts of different ways to isolate what’s important to you. Or just use it to get an idea of what’s out there. Please note that I make a small commission if you book through this site (don’t let it stop you, there’s no extra cost to you and it’s how the site survives).
Good hunting and good luck. May you get the deal of the century!