It’s never too early to start planning and booking for New Year’s Eve in Sydney. So what’s on offer to farewell 2017 and say hello to 2018? Let’s find out.
New year in Sydney is focused on the harbour. The big fireworks finale at midnight is built around the harbour bridge. Each year the bridge has a different icon that gets lit up.
That said, the fireworks themselves are spread around many locations and you will get good views of the extraordinary display from many vantage points. And, whether you go cheap or dear, you will see exactly the same fireworks in the sky. So it depends on the comfort level you want, the money you’re prepared to spend and the tradeoffs you’re prepared to make. (Unless you’re friends with someone who invites you to their fabulous house in the perfect location, when you can have it all).
Sydney New Years Eve Entertainment
Detailed scheduling for 2017 has not yet been released. It is likely to follow previous years. So take this schedule as the best current approximation.
- 1800 – Air displays above the harbour
- 1850 – Fire tug water display Sydney harbour
- 2000 – Air displays above the harbour
- 2040 – Acknowledgement of Country
- 2100 – Family fireworks display
- 2115 – Harbour of Light Parade*, Sydney harbour
- 2400 – Midnight fireworks display
*Harbour of Light Parade
The Harbour of Light Parade is an illuminated flotilla of over 40 boats decorated with lights parade in a large circle near the Sydney Harbour Bridge after the 9pm Family Fireworks.
Boats have to apply to join the parade and the announcement of the final lineup is made in October each year.
Boats that take part in the Harbour of Light parade get to stay in the exclusion zone and will give you the closest possible vantage point.
Premium Ringside, Sydney Harbour
If this is your dream then forward planning and a fair bit of money will do it. The rest will be taken care of for you.
You can book a luxury charter super yacht for 2017 new year’s eve Sydney. This can be optioned up however you want with a private chef or even an overnight stay on board.
As you would expect, prices will be commensurate with the experience. If this sounds like you, then you are definitely best off discussing details directly with the charter company. Try
or search “sydney harbour charter boats new years eve” for more.
New Years Eve Cruises
Instead of chartering a private boat, you can buy individual tickets on a 2017 New Year’s Eve Sydney cruise. Here your choice is between partying – with DJ’s and dancing, watching an on-board floorshow between fireworks displays, a quieter, more intimate dinner cruise or an all or part BYO affair.
There are lots of choices in this category. Google and DuckDuckGo are your friends here.
Bookings are already filling up so don’t take too long to make up your mind.
Things to take into account:
- size of boat
- food and beverage package
- start and finish times
- music and entertainment
- in the Harbour of Light parade?
A few sites to start you off:
- Bass & Flinders Cruises Depart from various locations around Sydney
- Captain Cook Cruises Offer seafood, buffet and cocktail packages
- Fantasea Cruises Choose just the 9pm or the midnight fireworks if you don’t want the lot
- Rosman Cruises Friendly heritage ferries, great budget option
- Sydney New Year’s Eve Cruises From glass boats to catamarans
- Sydney Showboats Add a floorshow to the evening
New Years Eve Packages – Harbour
Sydney Opera House
It’s definitely one of the top places to see in the new year. You couldn’t have a better location for viewing the fireworks and, on top of that, you’re seeing them from Sydney’s calling card.
Sydney Opera House New Years Eve 2017 is a little more complicated than usual though, as remediation work on the building affects different performance spaces.
The Joan Sutherland theatre looks unlikely to be open in time for 2017 new year’s eve Sydney. But it seems that the Concert Hall will put on its annual New Year’s Eve Gala performance and party. No details as yet, so sign up with the Opera House if you’re interested and they’ll keep you posted.
Restaurants and bars won’t be affected though. So you can happily book any of these. Based on previous years, here’s what you’ll likely find. In all cases final details will be released a bit later in the year.
On the lower concourse:
- Opera Kitchen Dinner, butler service, premium drinks and a private viewing area for the fireworks
- Opera Bar Often a themed dance party with canapes, purchase drinks, live entertainment, no assigned seating
- Portside Sydney Fabulous location but no information on NYE 2017 as yet
Creme de la Creme:
- Bennelong Restaurant Let Peter Gilmore, one of the world’s top chef’s, delight you into 2018 with a 6 course dinner and matching wines. It’s self understood that you’ll have a fantastic view of the fireworks.
A very special way to be part of 2017 new years eve Sydney. Out of the crowds yet in the middle of the action. All have fabulous views.
There are islands both east and west of the harbour bridge. Those to the east get the ‘front’ of the bridge, those to the west get the ‘back’. What does this mean? The main difference affects the theme word or image that is displayed as the finale of the midnight fireworks. That is only visible from the ‘front’, the eastern side. Everything else is pretty much visible from both sides. So you’ll need to decide for yourself how important it is to you that you specifically see/film that icon.
- Fort Denison Black tie gala dinner
- Clark Island Garden Party Three course meal, live music
- Shark Island Themed party, DJs, gourmet food and alcohol for sale
Note that these islands do not have Opera House views (which don’t really matter on NYE). They will let you catch some of the Darling Harbour fireworks displays as well as those in Sydney Harbour.
- Goat Island BYO, no food or drink for sale
- Cockatoo Island Glamping and backpacking packages available so you can stay overnight
More 2017 New Years Eve Sydney Events
There’s more! Other New Year’s Eve options include
- New Year’s Eve Hotels: comfort, style and gourmet food as well as ringside harbour views for the entertainment and fireworks.
- Reserved Catered and Semi-Catered Spots
- Ticketed and unticketed vantage points, with and without food and drink available to buy.
Have a look at New Year’s Eve Sydney for more Sydney new year information. And don’t forget, sooner rather than later is the best time to lock in whatever you fancy.